Want a Movie Star Smile? Time for Teeth Whitening!
Learn How Teeth Whitening Can Help Create a Stunning Smile
Shing! A good teeth whitening service can turn a yellowed grin into a smile of pearl. It’s a popular process, and the results can be stunning.
Ready for a Hollywood smile? Read on to find out whether teeth whitening is for you.
Why Get Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening isn’t just for the vain or wealthy, either. Severe discolorations of teeth can truly impact self-confidence for some people.
A discolored tooth isn’t necessarily an unhealthy tooth and whitening won’t fix a tooth that’s in need of a filling or other repair. But anyone who wants to feel confident when they grin can benefit from teeth whitening. With modern solutions, it’s more affordable than it’s ever been before!
How Does Teeth Whitening Work?
With a teeth whitening treatment, peroxides deliver oxygen molecules that break apart the chemical bonds that make up the stains in your teeth. Fluoride keeps the peroxide from compromising the integrity of your teeth and works to reduce sensitivity after the procedure.
Teeth whitening treatments are usually quick and minimally invasive, making it easy to get that bright smile you’ve been looking for!
Where Do Teeth Discolorations Come From?
There are two typical causes for tooth discoloration:
- Extrinsic Discolorations: These are caused by external sources, such as smoking or drinking wine or coffee. Extrinsic stains only affect the surface of your teeth.
- Intrinsic Discolorations: These are stains that come from the inside out. Medications, trauma, disease, or just plain aging can lead to intrinsically discolored teeth.
Teeth whitening treatments primarily deal with extrinsic discolorations.
Can I Do It Myself?
While there are lots of kits that claim to whiten teeth on the market, home teeth whitening kits just don’t do as thorough of a job as professional teeth whitening procedures.
With professional whitening you get:
- Dental Supervision: Your dentist will be familiar with the procedure and make sure your teeth are healthy enough for whitening.
- The Strong Stuff: Over-the-counter home whitening kits don’t have the same whitening power as what dentists use.
- Quicker Results: The whitening process is immediately noticeable rather than delayed by days or weeks.
Home teeth whitening may work on some extrinsic discolorations, but they will be ineffective against intrinsic discolorations.
Is Teeth Whitening Permanent?
No, unfortunately, no whitening treatments are permanent. Professional teeth whitening can last anywhere from six months to three years, with one year being typical. Because you still have to use your teeth, they will get re-stained over time. At that point, you can have them whitened again.
Trust Your Teeth Whitening to an Experienced Dentist
The team at Dr. Timothy Roney DDS & Associates has the knowledge and expertise to get you that movie star smile you’ve always wanted.
Our cosmetic dentistry procedures, including teeth whitening, can give you the self-confidence you’ve always wanted from your smile.
Don’t get stuck with discolored teeth that make you hide your mouth. If you’re ready to experience the delight of a motion picture-worthy grin, contact your trusted Shelby Township dentist today.